Thursday, June 1, 2017

#OGTC: TC4 Setup Sheets


    "Knowledge is power."
     - Someone famous...

    While it's fun to have success with the TC4, I'd rather share what I've got going on, rather than go the "secret squirrel" route. If you've read my previous post on the TC4 build, you know there wasn't much in the way of crazy changes needed to make the car competitive in spec racing. Most of my work went into making every moving part "free", while lightening the car as much as possible without a bunch of milling & drilling.
   
    What I've come up with is a car that's winning races, while being durable and easy to maintain. So, for your viewing pleasure, I give you: The setup sheets!

    This is my base setup, based on what feels best to me, and what has worked well for our surface. SeaTac RC Raceway is a permanent un-sealed asphalt track, which was paved last spring. when the weather is cool, as it tends to be this time of the year, the grip would be categorized as medium-low. I've had good luck with this setup so far in USGT, as it allows the car to rotate and carry corner speed very well. It is on the aggressive side, but still very balanced and drivable. I used a mix of two setups originally made by Brent Thielke and Barry Baker from events in 2005, as well as my own personal changes.


    This is a setup more toward Brent Thielke's setup from 2005 Reedy Race of Champions. The difference would be the oil used, arm mount shims , and the lack of sway bars. I worked on this last weekend during practice, and really like the "drivability" in warm weather. the car feels much more balanced when the track is hot versus the base setup. I'll be using this in race trim this weekend, so stay tuned....

A couple note from the setups above:

 - I've yet to try bars on either setup for two reasons:
1 - To keep weight down. (There's a surprising amount of weight added with these sway bar kits. Tune with oil and springs instead.)
2 - Design. (I'm not a huge fan of the design of the bars and how they mount. Sway bars have come along way since these were developed, and I feel they aren't effective enough to use. Just a personal opinion.)

 - All plastics are as included in the "club racer" kit. No carbon parts were used....yet. Remember, we're on a budget....

 - The FDR currently for this car is at 3.72. This may be a bit tall for some tracks, and a bit short for others. As a comparison, I pulled the car off after about 5 minutes last weekend, with the motor temp at 134 degrees. A Maclan 30mm fan was used, and ambient air temp was about 82 degrees. Not too bad, but keep in mind this will change depending on layout and driving style. The smoother and better the line, the cooler your equipment will run.

    Well, there you have it. Just a disclaimer, I'm not a professional. This is just what I've found to work for me and our track. I'll update this as I go along, but after a couple months of racing and turning laps, I'm starting to get the car dialed in!

Peace and Fast Laps
-JRoy386





No comments:

Post a Comment