Saturday, August 10, 2013

The MINI report #1

 
 

the MINI report - TCS Edition

 
Sunday, July 28th, 2013: Galaxy Hobby - Lynnwood, WA
 
 
 
    There's nothing more apt to bring a smile to even the most soured of racer, than 10 little silver-canned bumble bees racing door-to-door for 5 minutes. True story. This is never more evident than at TCS races, where car counts reach double digits in almost all classes. Minis have always done well at these races. Drivers come out of the woodwork and from seemingly every crack in the asphalt. For some this is their only race of the year, all just to race these bite-size beauties. With the total number of M-chassis cars reaching 15+ this year, comes the concern that  racers start to take things too seriously. After all, there's a car kit, a hat, and a fancy medal to the winner, and fancy medals to those lucky ones on the podium. Numbers breed pressure right?
 
.......I guess us Mini guys didn't get that memo.
 
 
     Race day started slow and early, I myself cordoning off a spot at 7AM, with a gaggle of racers right behind, staking their claim for the day. An early morning marine layer greeted us with cool temps and overcast skies. Not exactly "Heaven on Earth" for a dusty parking lot. After setting up my pit area to my satisfaction and seeing the track complete, it was time to turn laps....
 
 
    Now, let's go over the scenario again for you. Cool temps, overcast, green track, no spray. You'd think that would be a recipe for disaster right? Well, you're right, for most it was an exercise in ice-skating. Cars all over the place, racers getting reacquainted with their favorite walls, etc. Drifting became the hot line of the session. Mark Brown was laying down some fast times in his FWD MO3.....pitched sideways. Ok, it wasn't that bad, but like a good fishing story, the conditions get worse every time I tell it. :)
I reluctantly put my car down and went about feeling out the track, and to my surprise, I was dialed! The car drove well, tracked straight, turned-in hard, and drove out with authority. What a load off my mind....
 
 
    Round one saw not only the sun appear, but also the cream rise to the top, with Mark Brown setting the pace straight away. I was in the second heat, so with Mark, Ron Lui, and others already having laid down the fast times, I had something to shoot for. The start was clean from 4th on the grid, and I was able to get in a groove quick, picking off cars and finding myself alone and in the lead. I didn't set the world on fire, but after Round One, I was P3, with Ron Lui in P2, and Mark Brown up front.
 
 
    By the time round two came, the midday sun was in full force. The track was getting greasy and mechanical grip alone was no longer going to save me. The flaws in my makeshift, time-crunched setup were evident right away, with Bill Swadener stealing P3 after arriving late and his car looking dialed straight away. I struggled in my heat, coming in a distant third to Mark and Ron with my car unloading over bumps, the rear end breaking traction, and pitching out on two critical corners. Still, with all the troubles, I was having an amazing time, smiling more than I had during a race in a long time.
 
The A-Main grid looked like this:
 
1: Mark Brown
2: Ron Lui
3: Bill Swadener
4: Jesse Anderson
5: Rich Miskho
6: Tommy Wong
7: Rob Swan
8: Ed Choe
9: Dave McMullen
10: William Miskho
 
    The start was clean by all, With Mark leading the freight train of very angry bees behind him. After a misstep my Ron, I found myself in third, but no-sooner was I primed for the podium, then the unloading started which forced me to re-think my lines over the bumps. While my car was "shaking it's money maker", Ron re-took third and mounted a charge for 2nd, held by Bill Swadener. By this point Mark was well ahead and on cruise control, leaving 2nd place up for grabs. Ron and Bill were nose-to-tail, neither were giving an inch. After a few laps to get my rearranged lines down, I was on the move, and with 30 seconds left, it was now a three-car battle for second. Ron tried a last second move on Bill, but to no avail, as the top 4 would finish exactly how we started. Go figure.
 
     As bummed as I felt to be so close to the podium, I could help but think at the great race that just unfolded. Mark showing us he's still the champ, Ron driving his heart out for 3rd, Bill keeping his cool with a beauty of a drive for 2nd, and myself, having come from a box of parts two weeks ago to a near podium and a 4th place. This M-chassis stuff is addictive, nothing else I can say about it. I've never had so much fun losing a race in my life.
 
 
     At the end of the day, Galaxy Hobby put on a great race, with Ty Follis and the crew working tirelessly to make sure the program ran as smooth as possible, BIG props to them.
The weather was great, the car counts were up yet again from the previous year, and the racing was bitchin'. I can't wait 'till next year.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment